Policies

The management regrets to inform you . . .

All late work will receive 60% unless arrangements are made well (a week or more) in advance.

Late “Feedback” assignments will not be accepted. Our class will be run on an intensive write, review, revision, resubmit cycle. Drafts you submit are just as important to your reviewers learning as they are to you. As such, it really is quite impossible to submit a late “review” assignment because it disrupts your peer reviewers workflows. As such, I can not accept “submission” or “review” assignments submitted late.

Please make sure to post links well in advance of due date time due to technical issues. Double check by refreshing pages to make sure work has been submitted. Learning management systems are very bad at stopping an upload half way through so checking is a must. If you do not know how to, please familiarize yourself with how to share documents in Google Docs.

I will use e-mail to communicate important information about the class. The phone is a terrible way to try and contact me. They make us put phone numbers but odds are if you call my phone, you’ll never get ahold of me. I’m usually pretty good at getting back to student’s quickly through email but I don’t check my work email on the weekend (and you wouldn’t either).

It is highly advised to bring a laptop or tablet PC to class. If you have a laptop, bring it to class as often as you can. Of course, there will be times where I’ll ask you to close your laptop and to pay attention to the face to face conversation, and obviously you shouldn’t use a laptop to goof off on Facebook, ESPN.com, etc.

Increasingly, I find students using cell phones– particularly smart phones– for useful tasks like taking notes, looking things up online, etc.  I’m okay with that, but please refrain from using your phone to be distracted and/or goof off (e.g., texting with friends, surfing Facebook, etc.), and please put your phone on silent and do not take or make calls.

All your work in this class is public. Please don’t write things you wish to remain private.

If an assignment is lost or missing, you must provide another copy no matter whose fault it is (so keep backups of everything!).

Technology breakdowns happen. Be flexible (don’t freak out if our learning management site goes down) and aware (backup your files–try Dropbox–and use anti-virus software) in order to keep our stress level as low as possible.

Prerequisites

Students must have graduate status to take this course.

Attendance

There are no unexcused absences in this course. Attendance is mandatory and required for a successful completion of the course. Unexcused absences will affect your grade directly. Per University regulations, excused absences must fall into one of two categories: sanctioned anticipated situations and documented emergency situations. Anticipated situations (e.g., participation in official University functions, court attendance, religious observances, or military duty) must be submitted in writing at the beginning of the semester or one week prior to the anticipated absence. Emergency absences (e.g., student illness, injury or death of immediate family member, must be documented by the Student Organization Resource Center 919.515.3323) within one week of returning to class. Late work will be accepted only in situations where absences were excused and can not be accepted for review assignments due to their time sensitive nature.

Disability Statement

I am uncomfortable requiring documentation for disabilities. Students with disabilities who need accommodations in this course must contact the me at the beginning of the semester to discuss needed accommodations. I have found that I can reasonably work with most folks for accommodations that work with their needs. If you need something, let me know and I will do my best to the best educational experiences I can for you.

Reasonable accommodations will be made for students with verifiable disabilities. In order to take advantage of available accommodations, students must register with the Disability Resource Office on the third floor of Holmes Building (Suite 304). For more information on NC State’s policy on working with students with disabilities, please see the Academic Accommodations for Students with Disabilities Regulation (REG02.20.01). https://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-02-20-01.

Electronically-hosted Course Components

Students may be required to disclose personally identifiable information to other students in the course, via electronic tools like email or web postings, where relevant to the course. Examples include online discussions of class topics, and posting of student coursework. All students are expected to respect the privacy of each other by not sharing or using such information outside the course.

Copyright

This course may contain copyright protected materials such as audio or video clips, images, text materials, etc. These items are being used with regard to the Fair Use doctrine in order to add value to the learning environment. Please do not copy, duplicate, download or distribute these items. The use of these materials is strictly reserved for this online classroom environment and your use only. All copyright materials are credited to the copyright holder.

Third-Party Software and FERPA

During this course you might have the opportunity to use public online services and/or software applications sometimes called third-party software such as a blog or wiki. While some of these could be required assignments, you need not make any personally identifying information on a public site. Do not post or provide any private information about yourself or your classmates. Where appropriate you may use a pseudonym or nickname. Some written assignments posted publicly may require personal reflection/comments, but the assignments will not require you to disclose any personally identity-sensitive information. If you have any concerns about this, please contact me.

Academic Integrity

As the Council of Writing Program Administrators puts it, “Plagiarism occurs when a writer deliberately passes off another’s words or ideas without acknowledging their source. For example, turning another’s work as your own is plagiarism.” Don’t do this. If you plagiarize in this class, you will likely fail the class and your case may be passed to the university for additional disciplinary action. (Taken from Steve Krause’s blog. See how easy that is?)

Violations of academic integrity, including but not limited to data falsification or plagiarism, will result in referral to the Office of Student Conduct with a recommendation of a failing grade for the assignment, and they will be reported to the department head.

Non-discrimination Policy

Don’t be a jerk.

NC State University provides equality of opportunity in education and employment for all students and employees. Accordingly, NC State affirms its commitment to maintain a work environment for all employees and an academic environment for all students that is free from all forms of discrimination. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation is a violation of state and federal law and/or NC State University policy and will not be tolerated. Harassment of any person (either in the form of quid pro quo or creation of a hostile environment) based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation also is a violation of state and federal law and/or NC State University policy and will not be tolerated. Retaliation against any person who complains about discrimination is also prohibited. NC State’s policies and regulations covering discrimination, harassment, and retaliation may be accessed at https://policies.ncsu.edu/category/campus-environment/ or https://policies.ncsu.edu/policy/pol-04-25-05/. Any person who feels that he or she has been the subject of prohibited discrimination, harassment, or retaliation should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity (OEO) at 515-3148.

Drop/Add Policy

A few important aspects to be aware of regarding the drop/add policy are the following:

• All course drops or full semester withdrawals made after the 10th business day of the semester (Census Day) will be recorded on the transcript with a “W” grade.
  • Students may not drop a course after Census Day if it will result in a course load of less than 12 hours (shifting from full-time to part-time).
  • Students are now limited in the course drops permitted after Census Day. Students may drop individual courses without verified extenuating circumstances between Week 2 to Week 8 within a limit of 16 hours total throughout the entire undergraduate career at NC State.

Citation/Documentation Style:

We will be using APA style citation.